Today I'm testing out recipes from "fast E'ds" Better Basics Magazine (Fast Ed is from the Better Homes & Gardens show).
My first attempt was a disaster (I forgot to add the milk - got distracted).
Second attempt as seen in the picture (well kids loved it).
Ingredients below are set out in portions to make it easier when mixing.
You will need:
Unsalted Butter (softened) 140g
Caster Sugar 280g
Eggs 2 separate yolk and whites
Vanilla Extract 1 Tsp
Self Raising Flour 250g (sifted)
Ground Cinnamon 1 Tble Spoon
22cm Cake tin (lined bottom and sides)
Preheat Oven to 180 deg C
In separate bowls:
Portion 2 (keep separate)
200g Castor sugar
Egg yolks (keep aside)
Vanilla Extract 1 Tsp
Portion 3 (keep separate)
250g Self raising flour
Portion 4 (this can be done whilst the cake is being cooled)
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
50g Butter melted
1/2 cup of Mixed Berries. (you can use sliced tin apples or any fruit of your choice)
- add the sugar and egg whites together and whisk to your hearts content (or use a electrical hand held whisker) until soft peaks form. Then set aside.
- in my electric mix master (using the beater paddle), put the portion 2 items (butter and sugar) together and beat on high for 3 minutes or until light and creamy.
- add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract then beat until smooth.
Mixer on low
Slowly add in Portion 1(egg whites) into the Portion 2 mix.
Now add in gradually Portion 3 (the flour and the milk) alternating half at a time.
Finally spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- At this point as an option you can add a handful of mixed berries (i used frozen berries) to the mix. Sprinkle them on top of the mixture and they will sink to the bottom whilst in the oven.
Let it cook for 30-35 minutes.
After baking let it sit in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
Now prepare Portion 4.
- Melt the butter (i do it in the microwave).
- in a separate bowl Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Pierce several holes on the top of the cake with a cake skewer
- Brush the melted butter on to the cake.
- Then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mix on top.
Serve warm or cold (doesn't matter).
Serve with hot custard.