Using an Electric Mixer with the beater attachement (that looks like a paddle)
- Mix the butter and the sugar and beat on Medium until light and fluffy. (Be patient, should take 3 minutes)
- Add the egg then turn up the speed to high until the mixture is well mixed
In a seperate Bowl (breakfast cereal bowl type)
- Mix the Cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract until thick and paste like.
- Add it to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides with a rubber spatula.
Turn the Mixer down to slow and mix the following until well mixed
- then add half the Buttermilk.
- slowly add half the flour
- Repeat the process and add the balance of the buttermilk and flour and mix well.
In a seperate bowl or glass measuring cup (Soda Mix)
- mix the salt, bicarb soda and Vinegar (Caution, this will fizz a little)
Turn the mixer to Low
- Add the soda mix into the mixture.
- Beat slow till well mixed then turn up the speed for 2 minutes.
|Final Mixture (yes red)|
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
It should feel spongy when tested.
Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tray then lay onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Add topping when cupcakes are cold. (I suggest Vanilla Butter Cream, which I'll post later).
|Red out of the oven|